I have been searching for the perfect lip color that will transition from summer to fall with ease. I wanted a color that was rich and glossy but still neutral enough to be worn for day or night. The gods of lip color answered my prayers when I received a package in the mail from Bite Beauty. The package contained two gorgeous Honey Lip Lacquers in Gamay and Aurora. Gamay is the perfect neutral pink shade that works for a variety of skin tones. This warm medium pink looks brilliant with a sexy smoky eye or even the simple nude eyes that are big for fall. What I really loved about the Honey Lip Lacquer is its wearability and its long-lasting potential. These super cool lip colors are waterproof and impart tons of color and shine. One of the reasons for the lip lacquers’ shine is the inclusion of manuka honey. I love these lip lacquers and can’t wait to take my lips from summer to fall with one succulent swipe of Bite Beauty’s Honey Lip Lacquer in Gamay.
So, you’re heading out of town on a much needed vacay to some sexy, sultry exotic locale and you’ve picked out all of your outfits and accessories. You’ve got your makeup bag packed with the hottest shadows, blushes and lip colors imaginable. You’ve got your fresh mani/pedi and Brazilian wax and you’re looking like a million bucks. You’ve got everything you need, or so you think. During the summer, our skin takes a beating. From frolicking the salty ocean to diving into chlorine-infused pools, we are constantly drying out our precious skin during our summer adventures. One area that suffers the most is our lips. The skin on our lips is quite sensitive and very receptive to the elements. Nothing is worse than dry, flaky, chapped lips.
Here are a few tips to keep your pucker looking sweet and sumptuous and ready for that luscious summer kiss!
- Invest in a quality balm. I live for Carmex as I like a balm that can also double lip primer. The reason I love Carmex is it’s waxy texture. Unlike most balms, Carmex won’t leave your lips shiny or glossy. Carmex has high levels of emollient ingredients such as; beeswax, meadowfoam seed oil and cocoa butter. It also has camphor which helps relieve and soothe chapped lips, healing any blisters or irritation. I also love the fact that it has two natural sunscreen agents which protect the delicate lip area from the harsh effects of sun overexposure. I use my Carmex as a lip primer whenever I apply my makeup. During my moisturizer process, I swipe a few coats of Carmex onto my lips and let it soak in. This creates a nice smooth but not glossy or shiny foundation for my lip color and helps my lip color stay put and last longer.
- Pop a nice lip scrub into your makeup bag. It’s imperative that you remove all dead skin from the lip area before applying any balms or other lip products as you want your lips to be a smooth canvas and ready for application. I love Bliss Fabulips Sugar Lip Scrub. It’s really easy to use and leaves your lips feeling baby soft and uber smooth. With fine grains of sugar, almond and walnut shells, jojoba seed oil, olive oil, shea butter, cocoa butter and Vitamins A, C and E, this lip scrub is like a spa treatment for your lips. This lip scrub is great for when you’re on the go but when you’re at home, you can create your own sugar lip scrub with raw sugar, water and a tooth paste.
- Choose hydrating lip colors over matte styles for summer. Summer is the season for gloss, balms and sexy sparkly shades. Pick your favorite creamy lip colors and bring along a clear gloss for shine. Stay away from matte shades as this can cause further irritation to dry, chapped, sun-parched lips.
Lip Smackers were my first beauty obsession. I was in the 4th grade and couldn’t get enough of those delectable, candy-flavored lip glosses that were innocent enough to wear in Catholic school. Fast forward to 2012 and they are back and better than ever with new flavors, packaging and limited-edition collections. The latest collabo is with Paul Frank, the creator of several 90’s pop culture characters, most notably Julius the Chimp. The new trios are covered in Paul Frank designs and come in flavors such as; Julius’ Strawberry Banana, Worry Bear’s Honey Sweet and Spicoli’s Spumoni.
Spending major loot on lip gloss may sound like an unwise purchasing decision, but when you are a certified gloss addict like me, there is no price too steep when it comes to buying the ultimate lip gloss. What makes YSL Rouge Pur Couture worth the high price point is the technology. This state-of-the-art product is part lip gloss/part stain which equals long-lasting color and shine all in one tube. I am in love with the packaging as it’s sleek and sexy. Also I love the range of colors available. I’m already drooling over the following shades:
- Camel Croisiere – a light chic caramel
- Orange de Chine – the perfect juicy orange for spring
- Fucshia Dore – a gorgeous vibrant hot pink
- Pourpre Preview – a decadent purple
- Coril Fauve – a burst of watermelon pink
I am a gloss addict so whenever I can find a new lip gloss that moisturizes my lips while adding color and shine, I’m all over it! Case in point, the new Korres Glazed Over kit which is a gloss addicts dream come true. These beautiful glosses contain botanical oils and other natural ingredients help smooth and soften lips whil adding a gorgeous luminous shine. I am loving these amazing shades such as pomegranate, jasmine, quince and wild rose.